Summer is for many of us a time to travel or do outdoor activities. Many times, we do not realize the dangers that temperature changes can bring during this time. We older people must be more careful and prevent any risky situation.
Here are some tips on how we can enjoy a healthy summer.
- Staying hydrated by drinking at least eight glasses of water a day is recommended.
- It is important not to expose ourselves to the sun during peak hours between 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- If we are going to be outdoors, we must wear a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- We are not to do gardening during this time.
- If we travel, we must familiarize ourselves with the climate of the country we are going to visit. The beaches are divine, but we must prevent accidents. I always have to make sure that they are suitable for bathers. Rip currents are very dangerous. Many people do not realize this, and their vacations can turn into a nightmare.
- If we take medication, we must make sure to bring the necessary ones for the stay.
- As we go out more in the summer, we are more prone to accidents. It is important to take care of how and where we walk.
Let’s plan, protect ourselves and not miss the opportunity to enjoy the heat and fun to the fullest in the summer. Those who cannot miss the opportunity to savor a piña colada under a palm grove in the country of their choice.
Maria M. Garcia, BA, MA