Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech, and nonverbal communication. We know that there is not one autism but many subtypes, most influenced by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Because autism is a spectrum disorder, each person with autism has a distinct set of strengths and challenges. The ways in which people with autism learn to think and problem-solve can range from highly skilled to severely challenged. Some people with ASD may require significant support in their daily lives, while others may need less support and, in some cases, live entirely independently.
Did you know?
- Autism affects more than 70M people worldwide.
- For most, autism is a lifelong condition.
- Autism Speaks championed $3.9B increase in federal funding for autism.
- Autism can be reliably diagnosed by around age 2, but the average age remains 4.
- Autism Speaks reached 32M people by social media, during April, World Autism Month in 2021.
- Autism Speaks Aided an estimated 24.1M people through funded services and supports.
- Autism Speaks championed ABLE tax-free savings accounts reaching over $937M in tax-advantaged funds helping people with autism.
- Around 1 in 44 children has been identified with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in the U.S. according to the CDC.
Autism Speaks is enhancing lives today and accelerating a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow.
To find resources, find ways to fundraise or make a donation, go to autismspeaks.org or connect with us on social @autismspeaks.