I still love hearing that song, but I don’t really get to hear it a lot these days. As a business owner myself I understand that due to fuel cost, the price of ice cream and toppings being so high, you probably won’t see the growth of ice cream trucks in the future. But I hope to still see them at our local parks, festivals and beaches.
But don’t be worried I’m starting to see more ice cream shops & parlors popping up around the county. This year we had one that opened right here in our downtown center City of Reading called The Great American Creamery. A local ice cream shop where one of the co-owners is the son of a previous ice cream truck owner of over 30+ years. It feels great to know that we are supporting local businesses that purchase their ingredients or products like ice-creams & sodas right here Pennsylvania from local farmers or producers. The best stories are the ones of a well-educated son of a Greek immigrant, Balasios Lahaniatis alongside his powerful wife Lucine Sihelnek continuing a now family tradition.
So here are 10 scoops of why you should support and buy ice cream during the winter season from your local creamery:
- No lines or smaller lines
- Ice cream doesn’t melt as fast, you may savor it more.
- Seasonal flavors, like eggnog, pumpkin, spice, candy cane
- It’s good for a sore throat
- You can eat it with hot apple pie or pumpkin pie
- You are supporting local everything, the shop, the farmers and your local economy
- They have birthday rooms to celebrate and have ice cream flights
- They do in-house & mobile events; like weddings, galas, corporate events, etc.…
- Great toppings like caramel corn, waffle cone pieces, captain crunch & many more
- They have dairy free and vegan options
Besides they serve more than just ice cream, they have milk shakes, floats, specialty frozen desserts and more.
The Great American Creamery
645 Penn Street Reading, PA 19601
Other spots to find GAC Ice Cream:
The Gift Shop at the DoubleTree in downtown Reading also carries their ice cream, and they are located less than a minute from the creamery.
Also at the Santander Arena, serves GAC Ice Cream to Reading Royals Fans all hockey season long! The Arena is located across the street from the creamery at 700 Penn Street in Reading, PA.
And just in case you aren’t convinced I feel “there is no reason needed, it’s just delicious anytime of the year.” Don’t forget to support the Great American Creamery located in downtown Reading, Pa and tell them you read about them in Palo Magazine.
Rosa J. Parra, Founder & Editor