Merry Christmas to YOU from everyone at Berks Community Health Center!
Our Christmas gift and wish is that you should take extra good care of yourself for yourself and the sake of your loved ones this year.
What kinds of things should you be doing, beyond eating smart and exercising? Making sure all your health maintenance needs and screening tests are getting done as recommended is a great place to start. Arranging for an annual physical allows us to review your immunization record, recent lab testing, cancer screening recommendations, help you get in to see a dentist or optometrist to try to keep you “tuned-up and running smoothly.”
Here is a listing of just some of the health recommendations for adults and the age we should start checking:
- Check for diabetes, high cholesterol, hepatitis C and HIV for everyone!
- Colon cancer screening for everyone starting at age 45!
- COVID vaccines are a moving target, but if you haven’t been vaccinated, you remain at HIGH RISK.
- Shingles vaccine for everyone at age 50!
- Flu vaccine every year and if you haven’t gotten this yet, NOW is the time.
- Tetanus vaccine every 10 years.
- Women: cervical and breast cancer screenings-these depend on your age, family history and overall risk factors.
- Men, discuss prostate cancer screening with your doctor.
There are many more such as -EKG’s, DEXA scans, and others, all based on age, sex, and risk factors-primarily family history.
So, again, we wish you a VERY MERY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR, please be and stay healthy!
Berks Community Health Center