Dating after a divorce and being 40+ or 50+ can be different depending on experiences, where we are in life, and what we are looking for in the next relationship. I decided to ask a couple of friends (males and females) about this topic, and we agree in some areas:
- We want to enjoy life.
- Coming to a new relationship with unresolved issues is not healthy.
- We want others to respect our independence and freedom.
- We know what we want in life, we have our priorities set.
- Singleness is different from being lonely, so we are not desperate. We can take our time dating. We don’t want to settle for less.
- Communication and honesty are important. The more we communicate the better.
- The advice is for us to avoid having higher expectations, instead share what you are looking for from the beginning.
- Intimacy is good and we want to bond during leisure activities, to feel safe sharing feelings with each other, even uncomfortable ones. We want to feel comfortable sharing ideas and opinions, even when we can disagree.
- Some of us want to date and feel ready but we don’t know how to start.
Dating can be good and from what I learned there are people out there relaunching and ready to venture into dating again. However long it’s been for you, please allow me to encourage you to renew and have hope again to find love now.