The index of obesity among Latinos is alarming, and this is associated with cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. What is the main reason? Poor nutrition and a sedentary lifestyle have made our community increasingly sick. We have been solving our health problems with easy methods that in the long term don’t solve any problem.
Having a healthier life requires self-motivation and action. A fact is that only you are responsible for your decisions and your health. Here are some strategies on how to stay motivated towards a healthier life.
- Find the reason why you want to improve your health (your children, your family, disease prevention, etc.).
- Exercise regularly (3-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes). If you exercise early in the morning is better. That will keep you energized for your daily activities.
- Find a support group and guide of a coach.
- Surround yourself with positive people, with your goals and who contribute well-being in your life. Avoid negative and toxic people.
- Take 15 minutes a day to read a motivational book or an audio-book. These will help you to create healthy habits.
- Create goals and execute them. You can start with short and realistic goals. That sense of achievement will help you to be motivated for the following days.
- Take some time in the week to plan your meals.
- Do not be discouraged by the number you see on the scale. It is more important to recognize the increases in your energy levels, strength and well-being.
Take control of your life and your health now!
By Katy Conseco