We must educate our children to have a healthier life. As part of their education we parents must instill in our children the importance of having a healthy life.
We must start with being the example for our children, having healthy habits. Food is the fuel of the body, therefore, it is necessary to live. We must enjoy it without having an excess of it or depriving ourselves of it.
Here are some tips to help with that process.
- Sit at the table with them to eat. Do not use electronic devices while at the table.
- Prepare lunch for them to take to school. This way you will save a lot of money and you will know what they are eating. If lunch is free, look at the weekly menu and decide which days they will pack a lunch instead.
- You can prepare great and healthy recipes such as macaroni and cheese with whole wheat pasta and natural cheese, quesadillas with whole wheat tortilla, turkey ham sandwich on whole-wheat bread, etc.
- Create a weekly meal plan, including breakfast. You can make french toast on whole wheat bread, oatmeal pancakes, whole waffles, oatmeal, etc.
- If children are in sports, give them water and no colored juices. In the meantime, you can remove the habit of juice by mixing it with water, pack fruit, yogurt or a small sandwich.
- Invite them to try 2 new vegetables a week.
- Do not buy cookies, sweets or ice cream to have in your home.
- Use a journal to jot down your foods and at the end of the week or the month reward yourself with something you like.
Children are our future; let’s leave a legacy of health through them.
Virtual Fitness Coach