Drug use among teenagers continues to be a growing concern. Teens aren’t just using the “traditional” substances that we grew up with. Synthetic drugs have hit the market and can be easily purchased, they’re unregulated and it’s impossible to know what chemicals and toxins were used to manufacture them. This makes monitoring teens for drug use even more important.
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), in 2016, approximately 20.1 million people aged 12 or older had a substance use disorder (SUD) related to their use of alcohol or illicit drugs. Among those who had an illicit drug use disorder, the most common disorder was for marijuana (4.0 million people). An estimated 2.1 million people had an opioid use disorder, which includes 1.8 million people with a prescription pain reliever use disorder and 0.6 million people with a heroin use disorder.
ARCpoint Labs has developed a tool for parents to use when discussing drug and alcohol abuse with their teen. Discuss all of these promises, initial those that apply, then sign and date this page.
I promise that I will:
- *Not experiment with illegal drugs of any kind including marijuana, heroin, cocaine, etc…
- *Not take any prescription medications unless it was prescribed for me by a physician.
- *Not purchase any illegal or Rx drugs with the purpose to use or sell.
- *Not get in a car with anyone I know who has taken an illegal drug or has consumed alcohol.
- *Report to my parents on any stranger approaching me to try or purchase illegal drugs.
- *Not attend a party where alcohol or drugs are present.
- *Not obtain or use a fake ID to buy alcohol as an underage adult.
- *Approach my parents if and when I ever feel the need for professional counseling and help.
If I am impaired in any way that interferes with my ability to get home safely, I will call my parents for a ride home, no matter the situation or the hour. No questions asked!
I understand that my parents will randomly drug test me to ensure I am keeping my commitment to be Drug-Free.
SIGNATURE: _________________________________________ DATE: _____________
ARCpoint Labs of Readingworks with parents who suspect their teen of drug or alcohol use. For CONFIDENTIAL testing call 484-926-2505
By Annmarie Dallao