English: Last month the president of the United States decided to end the DACA program. This program helped hundreds of thousands of young men and women live and work in the United States legally. Although the program is being phased out over the next 6 months and work permits will remain valid until they expire this has been abrupt hit to many of our people. Below I will point out the 4 most important things about this announcement as well as some tips for DACA youth and other immigrants.
- If your DACA work permit expires before March 5, 2018 you must submit an application to renew BEFORE October 5, 2017. By the time you read this article it may be too late.
- If you have a pending DACA application or renewal it will continue to be processed like normal.
- You can no longer apply to travel outside the U.S. with DACA if you already have a permit it remains valid until its expiration but talk to an attorney before traveling.
- Your DACA can be terminated at any time so please avoid problems with law enforcement now more than ever.
If you are a DACA recipient and you are thinking about what to do with your life following this announcement here are some helpful tips.
- Start a business! If you control the source of your own income then a work permit becomes less important. Also, you now have a social security number so opening bank accounts and other business needs will be easier.
- Look at what states offer protections for undocumented people such as driver licenses and move there that way you don’t get thrown into removal by simply driving without a license.
- If your DACA expires and you rent think of moving to a new address that is not on file with the department of homeland security.
- Contact a trusted immigration attorney and see if you have other options to fix your status.